Success rates with Embryo Transfer have improved enormously over the last 10 years. It is now a routine gynaecological procedure for competition mares that are unable or unsuitable to carry their own pregnancy. The donor mare is inseminated as normal with frozen, chilled or fresh semen. The embryo is then flushed from her uterus at day 7 after insemination and transferred non-surgically to a recipient mare whose reproductive cycle has been synchronised to that of the donor.
Logistics and Costs
Donor mare insemination
- Fresh semen £250 + VAT
- Chilled semen £285 + VAT
- Frozen semen £335 + VAT
- Donor flush fee £250 + VAT
- Transfer fee £150 + VAT
- Recipient synchronisation £125 + VAT per mare.
- A minimum of two recipient mares should be supplied
- Includes ovulation agents and hormonal manipulation as required
Recipient Mare Hire
If the owner of a donor mare does not have their own recipients, then fees 1 and 2 above will be applied and then the embryo will be couriered to Twemlows Stud Farm for transfer into one of their recipients.
- Synchronisation of recipients £125 + VAT per mare per AI cycle
A minimum of two recipient mares will be synchronised per donor mare
Synchronisation is charged whether the embryo flush yields an embryo or not
- Non-surgical transfer to recipient £145 + VAT per transfer
- In foal fee £185 + VAT for recipient mares scanned in foal
- Recipient mare loan £1,500 + VAT for 18 months (until weaning)